Monday, May 26, 2008

44 Hours in Amsterdam

44 hours in Amsterdam, just enough time to end a relationship, break a few laws, and ruin all presidential aspirations (unless of course, you don’t inhale). These were my first thoughts of Amsterdam, when Erin and I decided to meet up there for the weekend. In spite of that reputation, I enjoyed one of my most relaxing, quiet weekends since moving to Europe.

I spent a lovely afternoon on Friday, waiting for Erin to arrive, visiting the Van Gogh Museum, antique shopping and enjoying a traditional herring sandwich (which is definitely an acquired taste, that apparently Erin loves),. Friday evening was our “crazy” night out which began and ended with hordes of men attempting to strike up conversations with us through every method possible, including bad pick-up lines, free drinks and my favorite, the traditional tactic of stalking. One thing can be said about Amsterdam is that the people are definitely friendly. Being a girl’s weekend though, all attempts were courteously turned down. Erin and I could not be bothered with men, we were there to catch up…and that we did. Every topic was covered over the course of the weekend from jobs, families, friends, men, goals and aspirations, frustrations and of course, world peace.

Saturday we enjoyed the canals in every way possible including waking up in our rented apartment to the views of the canals from our windows, walking all over the city guided only by the canals, and taking the touristy canal cruise before dinner. But more importantly, it was a canal that ended our 30 minute search for the red light district…yes, we went, but during the day and only out of a sense of moral obligation. I mean, how could we go to Amsterdam and NOT see them.

The trip ended with dinner at allegedly the best Mexican restaurant in Europe, which turned into drinks at the best Mexican restaurant Europe and ended with us back at home by 12am. While the food might not have been the best and the margaritas not that strong, the Pacifico beer perfectly complimented the homemade guacamole resulting in mass amounts of consumption.

My search for Mexican food in Europe still continues, but in the meantime Amsterdam remains at the top of my list of places to return to. But next time I go, I will be renting a private canal boat so I can enjoy the canals from within.

No comments: