Friday, June 27, 2008

The Bell Lady

Every morning at work, at approximately 9:30am, my enjoyment at work peaks with happiness and joy. For exactly at that time, the “Bell Lady” comes walking through our office, ringing her bell, signaling that she has arrived to provide us with wholesome and hearty treats. She is the office/adult version of the milk lady from elementary school. However, unlike the milk lady, the Bell Lady provides so much more. While the selection can vary depending on the day of the week and how fast or slow you can respond to her delightful ring, you are guaranteed at least a few croissants, butter pretzels, sandwiches, bread rolls, salads, and, of course, milk.

Yes, this one woman is the highlight of my day at work. So much so, that I consciously make it a point to be at work and available at 9:30…Big night out? Doesn’t matter, I will be there in time….Meeting between 9 ant 10? Don’t even think about it. On one occasion, after a significantly large night out, I still managed to pull myself out of bed and get to work in time, motivated only by the thought of breakfast from the Bell Lady.

She has become such a fixture in my life that I am at a complete loss when, on those rare occasions, she doesn’t show up. But more alarming than the reliance I have on a woman whose name I don’t even know is the fact that I have become more conditioned than Pavlo’s dogs…not only do I start getting hunger pains around 9:15, but every time I hear a bell (whether in the office or not) I immediately think of the Bell Lady and her delightful salami sandwiches with one slice of pickle, lettuce, tomatoes and mystery sauce.

No comments: