Tuesday, July 1, 2008

The Perfect Day…My Anniversary

June 29th marked my one year anniversary in Switzerland and the official mid-point of my secondment. And I could not have asked for a better day.

The day officially began at 12am dancing at one of the more popular clubs in Zurich, Mascot, with a few friends. The music was surprisingly good and we were having such a great time we stayed until the lights came on, getting home at sunrise and sleeping in until noon.

At 1pm, I headed down to Lake Zurich for an hour of wakeboarding with the local wakeboarding school. Upon arrival I told them I was there to go out in the boat, but which resulted in some confusion as to who I was and if I was actually boarding (apparently they don’t get many girl wakeboarders). After everything got sorted out I asked if I could wakeboard and wakesurf. Unfortunately, due to the time available I was only able to do one. However! One of the other guys in the shop overheard me asking about wakesurfing, apparently saw the look of disappointment on my face and told me he was going out with some friends and that I was more than welcome to join up after my session was over. Meet my new friend Daniel.

Wakeboarding wasn’t the greatest since the water was incredibly rough (it appears that 1 in 10 residents of Zurich owns a boat and they were all out enjoying the weather that day). But either way it was great to get in the water. With the session completed, we headed back to the docks where I called my new best friend Daniel, who quickly came back to get me in a different boat. And for the next 5 hours (yes 3pm to 8pm) I hung out with Daniel and 5 of his friends, wakesurfing and swimming. I had seriously died and gone to heaven. BUT to make things even better (yes, if that is even possible), during my session wakesurfing, I somehow managed to pull off a 360, a trick I have been trying to figure out for two summers. And apparently I looked good doing it to, since when I got back into the boat Daniel’s remark was ”if I could cook, he would marry me”

After wakeboarding, and with Eurocup finals starting at 8:45 that night, we all said goodbye and I ran home to get changed and head out to meet up with some friends. Unfortunately by the time I got home I was so tired and most places were too crowded that I ended up staying in and watching the game. And when I say “watching” I mean I passed out after 5 minutes…I was exhausted!

It was a perfect day!

No comments: