Monday, September 1, 2008

Bad Weather and Eating Habits

I have been informed, on numerous occasions, that in Swiss tradition, if you don’t clear your plate of food, it will be bad weather the following day. This concept, while cute, doesn’t hold a lot of water for me, especially since I NEVER finish all of my food. But, like everything else, with enough repetition and coincidences, you start to question the validity of such superstitions.

For instance, apparently it normally doesn’t rain that much in Zurich, however for some reason, the past two summers have been abnormally wet. In addition, it appears that everywhere I go, it rains, and while I am away, it is beautiful weather. Let’s re-cap my vacations….Munich for Oktoberfest (rained on Friday), Italy in October (rained 3 days), Prague (yeah, it rained there too), Dublin Ireland (well, that’s a given), Istanbul, Greece, Amsterdam (yes, yes, yes), Paris last July (oui). It even rained during my lunch in Liechtenstein. This coincidence has gotten so bad that my Swiss co-workers have started asking about my vacation schedule before planning their holidays and weekends.

If you still aren’t convinced, consider this…since I have left, CA has entered into one of the worst draughts of the past 20 years.

So, apparently I either need to learn to clear my plate of food or travel to draught ridden countries to offer my services.

No comments: