Tuesday, May 12, 2009

The Griswalds Return

My parents arrived last Friday for a final two-week European Vacation before I move home. With just the two of them this trip, compared to the 10+ last February, I was excited to see them and take them around both Switzerland and Italy, with them visiting France and Germany during the first week while I worked. With their flight arriving at the ungodly hour of 8 am, I managed to get myself out of bed earlier than I would on a normal weekday, make it to the airport to pick them up, drop them off at my house and still make it into work only 30 minutes later than normal.

I left work early that day, picked up my parents at my place and, being Friday, took them directly to the beer garden for drinks and dinner…I figured it would be the best way to overcome the jetlag… There, the rents met Martin, along with the rest of the Zurich crew and enjoyed some beers, but unfortunately dinner was not a high priority. After shutting down the beer garden (it for some reason closed at 8pm) and saying goodbye to everyone, I attempted to herd my parents in the direction of the sausage stand for food and then home. However, tempted by the offer of another bar (all of my friends were heading to the Old Fashion and made the mistake of asking my parents to join) my dad made the executive decision for one more drink before dinner and home. Thankfully, we kept managed to keep it to one drink, and whether it was the beer or full day of activities, my parents slept through the night…well at least I think they did…I did.

The next morning, Martin and I cooked breakfast for everyone (the parents and Erin, who came down from Frankfurt for the weekend) and enjoyed the meal and sunshine in my garden. Full from breakfast, we headed down to Burkliplarz to hop on the ferry for lunch in Rapperswil. What started out as a mellow boat ride and day, quickly livened up with my dad ordering beers for everyone and the fun continued through the afternoon with more beers and a quick nap before dinner (that is the three young people who were acclimated to the time change passed out on the train ride home, while my parents, who were jet lagged enjoyed the scenery). True to Gimbel vacation form, we wrapped up the evening with more food at the Eisonhof (“meat on a stone”) restaurant and of course, more beers.

On Sunday, my parents set off for Colmar and Munich and Martin, Erin and I spent the rest of the weekend enjoying the sun at the lake…I had officially four days of rest before the rents returned and we headed off to Italy.

No comments: