Saturday, September 26, 2009

Back in der Schweiz

From the city that never sleeps, to the city that never seems fully awake, I headed from New York to Zurich for a ten day visit with Martin and friends. First order of business - stir things up with a proper Hen’s Night (aka bachelorette party) appropriately themed The McLawry Wedding Olympics. I thought it was the perfect idea given the sportiness of the couple to be, Kim and Nick, plus it allowed me to run around the city with a whistle, stop watch and score cards used to score everything from dance moves to barstool dismounts. I may have abused the whistle privileges, but trying to coordinate and corral 24 mostly drunk woman from bar to bar without it would have been near impossible. The party went the full marathon…4pm to 4am. I would call it a success.

Up next , EAT! And eat I did - of course only in the company of friends. I did lunches with old friends and co-workers, sushi with Anna, a BBQ to send off the to-be married couple and my favorite, dinners cooked in with Martin. All throughout this eating binge, I made sure to eat my fill of all things Europe…like missing Mexican while living in Switzerland, I had also begun to miss certain things available only in der Schweiz (kebaps and currywurst just to name a few).

And, not surprisingly, friends and food were not the only thing I had missed…. So in addition to eating the wide assortment of cheeses and drinking the cheap European wines with loved ones, I made sure to do the things only acceptable in Europe - making out in public without getting dirty looks, drinking alcoholic beverages in public and, even better, making out while drinking alcoholic beverages in public… All kidding aside, it was great to be back and it made me miss my life over there…I think the only solution is to split my time between CA and Europe. Now I just need to find a job that can make that happen.

My final order of business while in town was to get prepared for the two day hike in the Alps with Martin, Anna, Braden and Bosco (Braden and Anna’s dog). This task was going to take me all week.

No comments: