Sunday, October 25, 2009

The Blocks in Seattle

Like leaving college, one of the hardest things about leaving Zurich was wondering when I will ever see my friends - with whom so much had been shared, in such a short period of time - again. And while I have made my college friendships last over the years, the Zurich friendships already have so many more variables: different jobs, cities, states, countries plus husbands, wives and more importantly, children, which makes traveling and meeting up together on whim in say Vegas, so much more difficult. But like college, I was and am ready for the challenge.

In spirit of keeping up, I spent a few days this past week in Seattle visiting my friends Andy, Shannon and their baby Hadley (who, at 8 months, is an adorable little munchkin and past my 6 month age requirement, making it possible to play with and hold)…introducing, the Block Family, some of my best friends from Zurich. While in Zurich, I travelled everywhere with these guys - Ireland, Prague, Greece, the Alps, etc., - so with both of us state-side again, it seemed only natural to head up to Seattle and actually see where they call home. I had been to Seattle before, both on a family road trip Griswald style and to visit Joanna during college break, however those trips were over 10 years ago and I was excited to re-discover the place.

It took me all of 10 minutes to fall in love with the city and fall back into old ways with the Block family. Autumn was in the air and on the trees, with crisp mornings smelling of rain and the bright reds, oranges, and yellows of the city foliage. And despite the occasional rain, no umbrella was ever truly needed, unlike the rains of Zurich…

With just two days, we manage to pack in a lot… dinners in, dinners out, bottles of wine, happy hours, brunches, good conversations and, while Andy had to work, Shannon, Hadley and I were able to spend the two days shopping in the various neighborhoods, walking around Green Lake with her friend Julie and son, Bennett, and a sushi lunch with the girls like old times (although we were missing one crucial element…Anna!). The only thing we did not mange to fit in was the Seattle “Duck” tour, something I would have never considered before, but thought sounded like fun for Seattle for some reason…I guess we will have to save that one for the sequel.

The two days with the Blocks in Seattle felt just like the usual night at the Block’s house in Zurich – comfortable, fun and always entertaining. It felt like I had never left Zurich or said goodbye to my friends there…yes, everything was right with the world. And while I still worry about years to come and what will happen, I am more faithful in the strength of our friendships and the ability to last over time.

No comments: