Tuesday, March 9, 2010

The Breuer Family Vacation

After sneezing, coughing and sniffling my way over the Atlantic, through Germany and Austria, Martin and I were on our way to the Ridanna Valley in Italy for the tail end of the Breuer Family vacation. Driving through the countryside with Martin felt completely normal and the only reminder that we were on our way to Italy rather than Tahoe were the steep, dramatic peaks of the Alps rather than the gradual climb of the Sierra Nevadas (while the drugs I took on the plane did little to help the congestion, they did provide me a nice night’s sleep resulting in me waking up in Europe without really feeling the effects of the 11 hour flight or 9 hour time difference).

To start, the Breuer Family vacation, which has been going on for over 12 years, is a week-long ski holiday complete with early European breakfasts, morning and afternoon skis, mid-day naps, saunas in the afternoon (clothing optional apparently) and a 5 course dinner every night followed by cards and a nightcap. I loved every minute of it!

We arrived too late for dinner on Thursday night, but were able to join the family for desserts and wine before heading to the hotel bar to enjoy traditional folk music and the evening glass of Ramazotti. Unfortunately, the next morning the effects of the flight, cold and possibly Ramazzoti finally sunk in, and the morning was spent recovering in bed while Martin joined his family for breakfast. Being the amazing person he is, he brought me back a breakfast spread for when I woke up and passed on the morning ski to look after me.

That afternoon, Martin and I went to pick up ski boots for my maiden voyage on skating-style cross country skis (Martin’s sister and friend provided the rest including skis, poles, pants, jacket, gloves, hat… everything but the long johns, which Martin had bought for me). The ski boots turned into an embarrassing event, with me having to go up 2 full sizes, and thus compounding my big foot/ kankle complex…. Insecurities aside, with shoes in hand, and looking the part of a professional, it was time for me to hit the snow. And that I did…three times, the first time resulting in a beautiful bruise on my right check (and I am not talking about my face).

Falling aside, I actually enjoyed myself and did reasonably well, at least for someone who had spent the last three months behind a desk and with little to no coordination to begin with. Even the –9 degree Celsius weather couldn’t deter me from having a good time. To illustrate just how cold it was, just seconds after opening a bottle of apple juice outside, I watched the contents freeze from top to bottom within 30 seconds. It was even too cold for the normally crazy Breuers to ski, calling it a day after just the morning ski on Saturday – Martin’s family would normally think nothing of being the only people out skiing in below freezing temperature, heavy snowfall and the 11 km of hills…gotta love ‘em. Thankfully the daily saunas and hot tea helped to warm me up….Yes tea, not coffee. I am slowly starting to break the news to the family that I am not a huge fan of coffee, or cake for that matter, and for that they probably think I am crazier than they are!

Our final night was spent playing doppelkopf (the German version of hearts/a$$hole but way more complicated) and me vowing to restart my German lessons (I signed up the following Monday). Sunday morning the whole family piled into the family station wagon and made our way back to Germany and the Munich airport for my final trek home. It was a sad good-bye so soon, but at least I know I will be back in Europe in no time!

No comments: