Saturday, June 12, 2010

The Nike Women’s Marathon

I have officially lost my mind – that or I have reached my second mid-life crisis in the past 4 years. Enticed by either the Tiffany necklace or just the need to do something substantial for my 30th birthday, I had a moment of weakness and signed up for the Nike Women’s Half Marathon in San Francisco in October. Or, in reality, I signed up for the lottery to win a spot to run the marathon…with 30,000 entrants, I didn’t win a spot.

And therefore I did something even more startling, refusing to admit defeat I signed up to run the half marathon through team in training in order to guarantee me a spot. Through TNT I will be part of a weekly training program to get me in shape to run, maybe partly walk, and definitely finish the 13.1 miles I swore I would never do. In return, I have committed to raise money, $2,100 in fact, as a donation to the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, a great organization that is working to find a cure for blood cancer and provide support to both patients and families of those affected by blood cancers.

The next few months will be interesting and challenging, but I am definitely looking forward to it…hopefully I will be able to reach my goal!!

On a side note – If you would like to support me in this crazy adventure, and more importantly, the LLS, you can make donations at the following link:
http://pages.teamintraining.org/sf/nikesf10/lgimbel

No comments: