Monday, February 11, 2013

My Matron of Honor

Almost five years ago, my sister got married and as her maid of honor, I had the privilege and duty of providing the MOH toast.  I took the job seriously, giving thought to my story and message, drafting up different ideas and constantly editing the speech.  In the end though, I let my emotion take over and I copped out.  My speech was short and sweet but lacked anything truly unique or special…It was the standard high-pitched “I love you so much and am so happy for you” speech that every bridesmaid gives before being overshadowed by the best man.

So with my thoughts again turned towards weddings, I thought it time to give my sister her moment in the sun.  Consider this my belated maid of honor speech Dana.

My sister and I weren’t always best friends, but like good wine and cheese, it took those years of implied imperfections to make something truly unique and special.  And the years leading up to our relationship now were full of so many memories I wouldn’t trade them for the world.

Dana was at times my partner in crime: making potions in the backyard and using mom’s homegrown herbs and spices to make it more authentic; telling scary stories to the younger neighbors about secretly being witches and eating kids; and ganging up on our brother, dressing him up in girls’ clothes and painting his fingernails (although to be fair the fingernails were at his request).

She was (and still is) one of my biggest competitors: always one-uping me in playing sports, in gaining attention from our parents, attracting the opposite sex and generally being a better person.   She was also at time my arch-nemesis, making my life miserable as only older sisters are able to do with such little effort…A mere comment could and would leave me either in tears or looking for a fight, swinging my arms in fury.  I specifically remember a vicious fight over a pair of borrowed white socks on your average Tuesday morning before school. 

By the time I hit high school, Dana was all of the above and more.  She was the focus of my envy.  While I walked the halls, uncomfortable in my own skin, with braces, hormone induced acne and a unibrow, Dana was the epitome of cool.  With her tom boy style, drum playing skills, and love of surfing and snowboarding, Dana was friends with everyone and dated the hottest guy in school…some things will never change as she managed to date and marry the coolest guy at the Lake.

And then we went to college and everything somehow changed.  Call it maturity, nature or just the fact that we didn’t have to live under the same roof, Dana became my friend and confidant above everything else. Granted there were still a few fights, especially when she first moved down to SLO and in with me and my friends…but to be fair I think that was more my residual fear of being in her shadow yet again.  By the time I graduated Cal Poly, Dana and I were once again living under the same roof and I was loving every minute of it.  We could spend the evening in our small converted garage of a home, making dinner, hanging out and acting like complete idiots…the kind of behavior no self respecting person would reveal to the world, but would to their family.

And still to this day, Dana is more than a sister, she is my best friend.  The one I can call to vent to and tell my ridiculous anxieties to, the one I can share my victories with, the one I call for motivation and the one I rely on for support above all else.  I am truly honored to be her sister and be able to share in her life.  I love you!

No comments: