Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Why I love Las Vegas


A couple of months ago, I found a two-day training course in Las Vegas that I thought I should attend (aka I needed a boondoggle) and surprisingly, my boss thought so too!  So I spent this past Thursday and Friday in Vegas, learning about Derivatives and Hedging (fascinating stuff) during the day and at night, enjoying the city solo.  With all of my free time to reflect, I was able to boil down my love for Vegas in the following key points.  These might not win everyone over, but here they are:
  • It is the only city large enough, loud enough, flashy enough and gaudy enough for me and my big personality: I can laugh as loud as I want without offense;  I can hypothetically wear a gold sequin dress without fear of judgment; I can tell inappropriate stories in public spaces without fear of ease-droppers since there is always something more fascinating or exciting to pay attention to; and even better, I have no fear of public embarrassment since what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas…or at least that is what they say.   
  • There is no fear of “missing out”.  There is nothing worse than going to a new city, checking it out and having a good trip only to find out after leaving that you missed out on going to the coolest new neighborhood or the next-big restaurant/club/bar/anything.  In Vegas, there is only one neighborhood anyone cares about and it is the strip.  And that next-big restaurant…five open each and every night meaning you can never go wrong.
  • The weather:  Coming from San Francisco, need I say more.  There is something so reassuring about knowing it will be 80 degrees at the start and end of each day, and that cute little sundress I put on in the morning will not leave me with hypothermia and desires for a down coat come sundown.   It might not be for me year round, but for a quick vacation, that heat is amazing. 
  • It is a city for all types of travelers: With all of the conferences and conventions, the city is designed for single business travelers as much as for the big parties.  Unlike other cities, where the one person eating alone at the bar is looked upon as the social pariah, Vegas is the perfect spot to eat a great meal at a bar alone and potentially meet some new friends:  in two nights I met an Aussie, New Yorker and three locals who were a wealth of knowledge about the city and full of endless stories.

Unfortunately for me, as strong as my love is for Vegas, Martin’s dislike is just as matched, so who knows when I will get back…hopefully soon!

No comments: