Saturday, March 1, 2014

A Few Things to Do in San Francisco

Looking back at the past month or two, I realized that even while consumed with work, I was able to do some cool things close to home. 

As part of Lyndsay’s week of leaving, similar to my Lisapolooza, a group of 8 girls made the trek to Hog Island Oyster Company in Tamales Bay for some fresh oysters and good times.  Picking the day that just happened to bring a light rain (the first in months) we came prepared with our cute hunter boots, warm blankets and umbrellas to go along with our 12 bottles of wine and full spread of cheese, crackers, salami, chips, dips, salsa, cookies and yes, some oysters.   Thankfully the umbrellas weren’t needs but the wellies were definitely appreciated…it was muddy and my shucking skills were such that each oyster opened resulted in a burst of salt water.

Looking for a unique date night shortly thereafter, Martin bought tickets to the Exploratorium After-Hours event. Closed on most evenings, the Exploratorium opens up one Thursday each month from 6-10pm for adults over 18 to enjoy the space, drink a few drinks and mingle/party while feeling smart and cultured.  We thankfully got there early and wandered the space, taking our time at each exhibit: me excited to see that some of my favorite displays from growing up had made the move to the new space and Martin trying each hands-on-activity, even more excited and intrigued than me…. I can only imagine his design driven brain working at full capacity growing up and playing with tinker toys or legos.  The crowds showed up around 8, changing the feeling of the space from a vast learning museum to a Hipster infused club so we took our leave and headed to the newly renovated Fog City for a late dinner.

While not available to most, I was lucky enough to score two tickets to the AT&T Pro Am Golf Tournament in Pebble Beach the first weekend in February.  With Martin being unimpressed by both golf and celebrities, I invited my girlfriend Anjulee to join me for the day of gawking.  Unfortunately the rains and wind settled in Saturday morning (I swear we are in a drought) and our day of walking the greens turned into a day of drinking at the Clubhouse. Celebrities, we saw none, but friends were definitely made…but I guess that tends to happen when you post up at a bar for 8 hours.  We ended the night with curry fries and mozzarella sticks at a pub near our hotel followed by a trip to Walgreens for Pepto Bismol…the day of drinking finally took its toll on me and my 80 year old stomach.

Following our fun night at the Exploratorium, Martin and I were looking forward to another sophisticated evening at the Symphony, a wedding gift from our friends Mike and Ron.  Our first trip back in December was Martin’s choice and a classy affair.  In February I had my choice, a night at the Oscar’s, where the symphony played scores from Oscar winning movies while the movie played on a screen overhead.  We heard and saw some of the greats: Ben Hur, Gone with the Wind, Citizen Kane, Wizard of Oz and Robin Hood with commentary prior to each segment to further our film and music knowledge.  For a movie lover, it was perfect and I am already looking forward to next year.

And finally, my mom and I celebrated lucky number B3 with our third anniversary of Bubbly and Bingo.  Put on by Le Donne d’Italia, the women’s Italian group of North Beach, my mom and I have gone for the past two years using the Sunday event of Bingo, champagne and Italian lunch as an opportunity to catch up and bond.  Our first year we failed to get even one bingo and last year our only winnings were at the raffle… This year we decided to share the event and invite our friends …13 in all!  I somehow convinced the college girls (all but Jo) to come (but with free champagne the arguments were limited) and they were joined by McKane, Anna, Colorado Erin and the Ladies from the Lake!  The champagne flowed, the good times were had and we left with some pretty hefty winnings….Dori won a bingo (or as she called out “Whoop!”) Sue, Sabine and my mom all won a raffle prize and my mom unknowingly won the grand prize bingo…it just took a few additional rounds to realize it and by then she had to share the port with four others.

No comments: