Friday, December 4, 2015

The Big Reveal (Ordeal)



Until I met Martin, I was adamant that I would not have kids.  Blame my brother’s birth or Little House on the Prairie, I saw no meaningful benefit or upside to the childbearing process and corresponding aftermath in comparison to the consequences of childbearing.    Martin changed all that.  And so, after 2 plus years of marriage and one serious pep talk from my friend Kim (who has 3 adorable kids) I have found myself pregnant after only a few weeks of trying… apparently birth control does work and my worries for the past 7+ years weren’t for nothing!

Like all good things that require you wait, I found out about the exciting news two days after Martin had left for his annual week-long fishing trip to Norway. And so I was left on my own, waiting for his return, before I could tell him the big news.  I used the time to research doctors, book the first appointment, take another test to confirm the results and come up with a cute way to tell him when he returned.  I ended up buying a fun card and little onesie with a teddy bear hugging the state of California noting “made in California”.  He opened the gift within hours of his return home and the look of surprise, disbelief and then pure joy brought me to tears.  We are officially having a baby! 

Once Martin was in on the secret and the doctor confirmed our hopes, we then had to devise the plan of when and how to tell people… we ultimately wanted to wait until 14 weeks but travel plans and family visits required a bit more thought and coordination…. First up, the new grandparents! 

Luck would have it that Martin’s parents were in town for a 3 week visit in October and would be leaving right around the 8 week mark.  While it was a little early, we couldn’t pass up on the chance to tell both sets of parents in person and together.  Martin and I thought it would be great to tell them at our house and then head out to dinner to celebrate... the tricky part was convincing my parents to come into the city.  After much thought, we decided to use the only card we had, we told my parents that Annegret was cooking her world famous goulash for dinner to entice them over.  We knew my dad would never say no.  So when my parents arrived at our house the last night of Ernst and Annegret’s visit, with no hint or smell of goulash in the kitchen, we had to act quickly.  Martin announced to the parents that while we didn’t have and couldn’t offer goulash, we had something even better…. A baby on the way.  The look of surprise, disbelief and pure joy made both Martin and I laugh with happiness and excitement! I think my parents were expecting to wait a few more years and Martin’s parents had given up hope of grandkids all together.    After celebratory drinks at home and dinner at Original Joes, my parents left with words of congratulations (and advice to take care of myself) and Martin’s parents left the next day with promises to return every month.

With the parents down, it was on to the friends and family. For the most part, we were able to make it to the 14 week mark however due to some unavoidable travel plans and upcoming weddings, we were required to tell a few friends early… which unfortunately resulted in one or two awkward consequences.  Who knew such good news could result in so drama!  But I digress.

With all of the stress of the first trimester and potential for things to go wrong, we greeted Week 14 with relief and excitement!   

We took the opportunity to tell the family over Thanksgiving (which happened to fall right at 14 weeks).  And that weekend our friends and family both abroad and at home received emails, texts and phones calls to share the news.  I told an incredibly supportive boss the Monday after Thanksgiving and the rest of the office on Thursday with a simple declaration to the ladies “well ladies, I got knocked up” which was greeted with clapping, cheering and the entire floor sending their love and well wishes.   The support and excitement we received back from everyone in our lives put the pregnancy glow to my ever smiling cheeks.

The say it takes a village and it feels like the village is 100% there to support me and Martin in the upcoming months and beyond. 

No comments: