Tuesday, April 30, 2019

On a Budget

For the first time in my entire life, I put myself on a budget. And so far it isn’t going so well. Two months in and I have gone over my monthly allowance by 100% each month.

To back things up, come to find out life is expensive and kids aren’t cheap. After doing our taxes this year Martin and I couldn’t reconcile the amount stated per the government and our feelings of poverty. I know I know, we are hardly “scrapping by”. We own two apartments in San Francisco and are almost done building our vacation cottage on the coast. But still, a little fiscal responsibility isn’t necessarily a bad thing…



For someone as Type A as me (and an accountant), you would think this budget thing would come naturally to me. It couldn’t be further from the truth. I am only hoping it just takes a little time and a little practice… like starting to exercise; it starts off slow and painfully, but overtime you get used to it.  And let’s be honest, this is a muscle I haven’t used in the past 25 years, if ever. 

While I have been over-budget each time, I like to think the overall process is working... it has stopped me from at least two impulse purchases and the daily amazon shipments have all but stopped.

June 30 Update. This month, after tracking expenses for four months and overspending by double the budget each of the previous months I am happy to report that I officially did not exceed my allowance for the month!!! And I found the key to making it happen; travel two weeks in the month... those expenses are part of a different budget.

No comments: