Sunday, September 29, 2019

Single Parenting

Last week, Martin took off for 8 days to Norway for his annual (now biannual) fishing trip with his buddies. I had a year to mentally and physically prepare myself... and lock in some assistance from my parents. By Saturday morning, the fridge was stocked, meals were planned and prepped, laundry was empty and I was ready.

Despite some unexpected snafus (poop in the bath, pee on the floor, puke on my shoulder, puke in the toilet, tears at drop off, failed breakie, hot chills and cold sweats… you know the usual, it was an awesome week and made me realize just how cool my two kids are.
We had lunch with my parents and grandparents and saw some friends in the East Bay, we went to the library, played on the playground, made funny face pizzas, created Amazon box forts that kept the two entertained for hours, ran up and down the hallway, found a workable and then fun bedtime routine and even became super heroes.  Over the course of the week I got some pleases and thank yous and some really big hugs.  And through it all I still managed to get some sleep, get some work done, make full breakies most mornings including waffles, chocolate pancakes, and French toast, do some laundry, keep the house in order, and make sure they brushed their teeth and washed their hands.

By Friday afternoon I think I finally hit my stride… thankfully Martin came home on Saturday so we didn’t actually have to test it out.


Taken just a few hours after Martin left... it is just water, but sums up how I was feeling...


Nap time with Grandpa






No comments: