Tuesday, August 31, 2021

Momcation

 

This picture is everything.  It is my view on Thursday night, alone in a hotel room in Roseville, eating a hamburger and fries in bed, drinking a Coors Light, watching Clueless and loving every moment of it.

To back things up, my much anticipated SLO Girls Weekend got cancelled due to a combination of smoke from the Tahoe Fires and the Delta variant of COVID. I was devastated, but not deterred.  I was going to get out of San Francisco for a carefree / kid-free weekend one way or another, with or without anyone else. I needed this.

After consulting a map and potential options, I booked a hotel room in Roseville within walking distance to the shopping mecca that is the Galleria / Fountains, I grabbed a rental car and got the hell out of dodge Thursday afternoon. I was emotionally and physically tired; tired from the stress from work, tired from life with COVID, tired from trying to be everything to everyone and I was ready to go crazy: I wanted to smoke a cigarette, get a tattoo, throw caution to the wind and pretend I was 24 again.

The good news is, I didn’t do any of those things… but I did get to be a little “mom crazy.” I got to be “the SAHM” wandering aimlessly through a Target Friday morning in yoga pants and a Starbucks coffee in hand. I confidently walked into every store and bought whatever I wanted knowing I could afford it.  And I found the joy in shopping local, buying one too many graphic sweatshirts and reclaimed wood signs.

Even better, Ange and Dana surprised me later that weekend so I could share my momcation with those who needed it as well.  Because drinking martinis in a fancy restaurant is just better with friends.

Still hoping to reschedule the SLO Girls Weekend and get another momcation on the books soon!

No comments: