Monday, September 26, 2022

Back on the Wagon

Last year I finally got a chance to go to Rancho La Puerta and it was everything I wanted and then some. I went into the week super healthy, with a solid routine of tennis, yoga and walks at least a few times a week.  However after the week of the Ranch, instead of solidifying my good habits, I completely fell off the wagon. All of my routines ended and for the past eleven months I have barely done anything more active than grabbing coffee in the kitchen between work calls.

This year, whether it was due to my lack of exercise at home or just a different mindset, I had a completely different experience at RLP. Of all the activities and events and classes offered, I didn’t repeat a single one from last year…okay I might have repeated one or two (stretch and sound healing, but for the sake of the story, we will go with none).

That means no yoga, Pilates, tennis or crazy new age shit. Instead my days were filled with relaxation, pool time and a lot of reading. I did manage to try a few new things including  ballet, self-defense, tai chi, drawing, water color, and a class on blue light and sleep. I also made it into the pool to swim laps and finally took a try at pickle ball.  I also attempted to take a weight lifting class but realized too late it was not barbells but in fact body pump, the class Martin and I used to take every Wednesday night before we had kids… it kicked my ass even more than I realized and left me limping for two whole days. Thank god for the handrails in the public toilets: I needed the help standing and sitting down.

And while I am not back to where I was last year pre-Ranch, I have managed to have a few more active days at home since getting back from the Ranch… including another at home Body Pump workout which left me limping again.

My attempt at drawing... I won't show you my watercolor work. As Erin kindly suggested, I should focus on drawing since watercolor didn't seem to be "my thing"

Early morning coffee at the top of Alex's Oak.  We woke up at 5:30am to make it up there for a sunrise coffee

Can't beat this view. Plus according to my blue light class, I should great the sun every morning for the best blue light. 


No comments: