Wednesday, December 28, 2022

To My Dearest Children

Dear Alva. 

You are right. This Christmas wasn’t fair for you. I hear you loud and clear. 


When I picked out the puzzle for your advent calendar I was hopeful that the rainbow colors would outweigh the Lego brick motif. It did not. Oskar was ecstatic, you were not. 


When Grandma got you and Oskar the Lego Gears Set she truly thought it would be fun for both of you. And yet you knew Oskar would grab the best pieces before you even got a chance to look at what could be built. 


And those on their own wouldn’t have been an issue or caused any tears.  But how were we to know what would come Christmas morning…  I still have no idea why Oma thought giving Oskar 3x the number of gifts to Oskar compared to you would be a good idea. I can only hope it was an honest mistake and one we won’t let happen again. 


So yes, my love, I hear you loud and clear. I know that feeling when nothing seems fair and as a result you feel a little less loved. Know this: you are so incredibly loved. And we will make sure to not repeat this again next year. 


PS: I loved playing hairdressers with you. You were a pro at the small talk and positioning of my head to get the perfect cut each and every time. Your imagination is endless and I can’t wait to see what excites you next. 


And To Oskar. 


My apologies for getting the heebie jeevies when I wiggled your loose tooth. While I know this is totally normal. It definitely creeped me out Christmas night. 


PS I will cherish your constant, tears in the corner of your eyes, rolling around infectious laughter while watching the various holiday movies.  Home Alone and Dinner for One will forever make me smile with these memories. 


No comments: