Tuesday, April 11, 2023

Fields of Flowers

After the winter we have had, I wanted some warmth and needed a break from the routine during the kids’ Spring Break.  Based on the weather reports and our preference to drive vs fly, we ended up in Paso Robles for 3 nights and no expectations.  Since the decision was made on Wednesday and we were leaving on Thursday morning, my ability to research and plan was significantly limited, however I was able to find a few gems: A WSJ Instagram post alerted me to the wildflower super bloom that might be underway and a google search informed me of Senorio, an art installation of a field of lights, that looked interesting enough for the whole family. 

So that is what we did: we spent a lot of time amongst the flowers. The flowers did not disappoint and neither did Paso Robles (much to my surprise)...As an aside, when I was in college, Paso was a farmers’ town with a small but growing wine scene. That wine scene is no longer nascent and the cowboy scene is now found only in the motifs of the trendy new motels and farmhouse style boutique shops. It appears that Paso has gone “Napa”. 


Despite the shock to my system, the warm weather, low key vibes and time spent outside (whether in a field of poppies or on the patio at the house) helped usher in the spring feeling we were needing and missing after all of the rain up north. 






No comments: