Friday, February 16, 2024

A Once in a Lifetime Trip

At times, I truly wonder how I married someone so different from myself and yet still have a wonderful, functioning family.  Martin’s proposed summer vacation aka his ideal trip and the ultimate test of my love for him was a two week vacation canoeing and camping in middle of nowhere Sweden (previously planned for this summer). For Martin, the true test of his devotion to our family was a four night, three day trip to Disneyland in Southern California. He wasn’t shy about sharing his displeasure at the idea of the trip, definitely went only due to the risk of FOMO, and was always keen to correct the statement from “this is our first trip…” to “this is our only trip.”

I will say though, that I did spot a few rays of hope for a potential second (albeit shorter) trip in our future including; 


  1. One of Martin’s biggest complaints was the overall cost of the trip (I might add that this whole trip was paid for by my parents so it was less about our personal budget but rather the principle of the affair).  The counterargument from my dad shut that one down: a ticket for a day in the park was far cheaper than a lift ticket for skiing in Tahoe. 

  2. Martin’s preference is to spend vacations outside and with physical activities (see note above about canoeing and camping). In the end, we were outside most of the time and averaged above seven miles of walking a day.  

  3. By the end of the trip, Martin had started singing “It’s a Small World” to himself and to my dad as a joke…I think he was starting to find the magic of Disney!


Below are some of the highlights from the four day adventure.  And a HUGE thank you to my parents for this “once in a lifetime” trip. 



On our way!



No comments: