Friday, June 29, 2007

Today, I officially landed in my new “home” for the next two years. It was a long journey, but one well worth it. My family (dad, mom, sister, minus brother, self, five pieces of luggage and two carry-ons) all headed to the airport early Thursday morning to send me off. The world was working with me because there was absolutely no traffic or problems getting to the airport. Plus I was especially calm about everything. I am normally pretty uptight at the airport and typically don’t have the patience to deal with inexperienced flyers. But this trip was somehow different, like I was completely at peace with this move already taking on the European lifestyle.


To add to the experience, I was upgraded to Business Class for the international portion of the flight. Yes, I flew from SF, to Chicago to Munich and finally to Zurich, all so I could earn more points with United. The flight began with a glass of champagne, filet mignon for dinner, a fully reclining seat for a good night’s sleep. Once in Zurich I was lucky enough to have all 5 pieces of checked luggage make the journey with me. And to top things off I had a BMW town car waiting for me upon arrival.


My temporary apartment is located on Sihlfeld Strasse and is pretty large for my standards. Although anything with more than 4 walls is my idea of large. I am not sure about the neighborhood (think lower nob hill) but it will definitely work for the next month. I meet with my relocation agent next week to look at apartments so hopefully I will be able to find something. I am told though that the housing market is incredibly tight and not to expect too much.


Anyways, unfortunately not much to report on since I just got here. I am currently waiting on the repair guy to get here, since it appears my phone isn’t working. Tomorrow I plan on taking a walk through the city and then am meeting up with some co-workers for drinks.

No comments: