Friday, June 1, 2007

The Decision to Move

During another hellish busy season and finding my self in a serious rut, I decided I needed to change something in my life, but through February I didn’t know what that “something” was. I considered different options and even toyed with the idea of quitting. One specific Wednesday in February I had an unusually difficult day resulting in the need to take drastic measures. Thankfully I didn’t have to look too hard to make a change. Two days later, I was asked to meet one of the partners with my firm.

For those who know me and about my Thursday night activities will realize that this simple request wasn’t taken as a good thing at first. I immediately assumed the worst and my mind started racing: oh shit, this is it, I am finally going to get busted for my late night activities, I probably still reek of alcohol. I am screwed.

To my relief the news was all positive. The Credit Suisse team in Zurich was looking for someone in my position, with my experience and the partner thought I would be a good fit. Was I interested? Given the two year commitment, I said I needed to think about it, preferably with a clear head. It didn’t take long for me to decide. I had made up my mind later that night, I was moving to Switzerland. Done

Granted I had to go through two months of interviews with various partners and managers, go through the idea of leaving my friends and family behind, leaving the only home I really know, learn a new language, a new client and new culture, but I got the job and stuck with my decision.

And this blog and new chapter of my life started.

No comments: