Saturday, April 5, 2008

Dating in Switzerland

When I moved from San Francisco to Switzerland, I knew I would run into moments of culture shock and confusion about the daily life. I expected that brief moment of panic at the grocery store trying to figure out what was detergent and what was bleach, the deer in head lights look when asked a question in Swiss German and all other fun quirks that made me want to move abroad to begin with. What I didn’t realize was that the main point of confusion would be centered around the customs and rituals of dating (not only Swiss, but every other country represented in this small city of 375K). As if dating wasn’t hard enough in my own Country and own language, I now have to figure out in which cultures 1 phone call a week is too much and in which 5 SMS messages a day isn’t enough; when you are expected to pay (apparently it is “dutch” until you are serious) and when he feels comfortable enough to fart in front of you (no joke).

I have officially given up. Mom, dad, forget the wedding, future son-in-law and grandchildren and get familiar with and embrace my future as a cat lady.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Notebook, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://notebooks-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.