Sunday, April 27, 2008

East Meets West - Istanbul

I am not sure why, but I have always wanted to go to Istanbul. There is something about the city that has a huge draw for me. So when my friend Erin (my partner in crime from Paris) mentioned that she was interested in going, I jumped on the opportunity. To make the situation even better, we knew someone who lived in Istanbul who could show us around…well, sort of, I use the term “knew” loosely. My mom knew his mom through her walking group… so in Lafayette terms we were practically family.

Anyways, connections aside, the trip was absolutely amazing. Joe, my new friend, was a gracious host and tour guide to both Erin and me. Not only did he let us crash at his place in Taksim (the heart of the city), he showed us around to all of the historical sites, took us to the best restaurants and introduced us to some of his Turkish friends. We were able to get the best experience that most people visiting Istanbul would never have.

Now, Erin and I typically do not check out the “sites” when visiting a new city or country but prefer to experience the lifestyle by means of cafes and bars. We made an exception for Istanbul however due to the history and diverse culture of the city. We checked out the Blue Mosque, Aya Sofia, Cisterns, Spice Market, Grand Bazaar and my favorite, French Street, a cute street full of restaurants and shops, which is not in most tour books, but was shown to us by Joe. In addition, thanks to Joe, we had the opportunity to hang out in beautiful rug shop, surrounded by antique rugs, drinking Turkish coffee with one of his Turkish friends, who, in addition, showed us a private, cistern under the building.

Erin and I rewarded ourselves for being so historical and cultural with amazing Turkish food. On Saturday evening we had dinner at a traditional Turkish restaurant, where we were served endless tapas, perfectly complemented by a bottle of Raka (the Turkish alcohol similar to Ouzo) and live music. I could not imagine the evening getting any better. But just as I was expecting to wrap up and head to a bar, the Turkish people surprised me yet again….the restaurant turned into an Eastern version of Oktoberfest! Women and men were on their feet and chairs dancing and singing around the tables to the live traditional music, encouraging even Erin and I to participate. Unlike Oktoberfest however, everyone was happy and not completely blitzed. Apparently, alcohol is not required to dance on tables in Istanbul. Note: this theory was not only tested at dinner on Saturday night, but also at a dance club on Friday evening, where I have never seen so many happy and yet sober people dancing and singing. The theory was also confirmed by some of Joe’s friends.

Bottom line, I have never met a more friendly and happy culture in all of my travels. Tesekkurler, Joe! (pronounced Te che coo lar)

No comments: