Thursday, November 6, 2008

Election Day

As far back as I can remember, I have always I wanted to be the first woman president of the United States. It was something I aspired to be, in hopes of making a difference in the world. But then college happened, and well, my political aspirations dried up quickly with two little words, political liability. To sum things up, I went to State school, which means my friends, unlike those bred in the Ivy league, those taught to keep secrets, would sing like a canary for a free six-pack of Coors Light. I am not perfect, there may or may not be some incriminating photos of me out there somewhere.

Despite my shattered dreams, and skepticism of politics in general, I got caught up in the emotions of being American and the glory that democracy permits…the Elections. With my absentee ballot submitted, I decided to host an Election Day get together, a chance for friends to get together, discuss politics and watch CNN, before any polls closed (with the time difference, the first polls did not close until 12am). When asked why I was having the party before the results were announced, I responded, the day before elections, everyone can celebrate, the day after, the likelihood would be that only about half of us would want to (yes, I am friends with Republicans, Democrats and Independents alike).

And like all good parties, I was excited! It was like being 6 years old on Christmas Eve…It had 2 years worth of anticipation, endless publicity and old men in suits not only asking me what I really wanted, but promising to deliver. But similar to Christmas, or anything with so many expectations and build up, the results were bound to disappoint. Not to say, that the outcome of the race was a let down, but rather, there were no fireworks, life changing moments, or epiphany. I got my new shiny toy on Christmas morning and like clock work, by Christmas dinner with the grandparents I had already grown tired of it.

So, while the rest of the world celebrates or mourns, I am looking forward to the next holiday and all that it promises.

No comments: