Sunday, June 21, 2009

7 Countries in 10 days

This past Monday I returned home from a 10 day Baltic cruise, which took me from Copenhagen to Stockholm, Helsinki, St. Petersburg, Tallin, Gdansk, and Oslo. We, the Marks, Jason and I, chose to see the Baltics via a cruise as it gave us the ability to see so many cities in so many different countries in such a short period of time. Being a first time cruiser, I had no idea what to expect.

In summary, the trip included 7 countries with 7 different types of currencies, 4 course dinners, karaoke, trivia nights, stunning views, immense history, all you can eat food binges during the day, spa treatments and a full gym to counter-act the all you can eat food binges, an average age of 55, owning the dance floor on the ship and dancing like such idiots that the other 2 customers actually left the bar thanks to our mad skills, Bizzaro Jason (the alter ego of our friend who, on land is a presidential hopeful, but on the seas was a booze hound, party animal) and, oh yes, some tours of the cities we visited.

After such excess in a mere 10 days, something was bound to give. Unfortunately, it was the button on my pants. I might have hit a new low, but the decent was well worth it.

The following are the stories from each town visited. I have posted them on the day we were in port, so I would suggest starting at the bottom with Stockholm and working your way to the top. Enjoy…because I sure did.

Editors Note: To avoid any confusion (and trust me there was plenty on the cruise) Jason is just a good friend and Martin is definitely still in the picture.

No comments: