Thursday, July 22, 2010

Stage Mom

With Martin in another country and me home all alone, I have developed some nasty new habits…the worst of them being an unhealthy addiction to bad reality TV including the Bachelorette, Toddlers and Tiaras and Kathy Griffin’s My Life on the D List. But hey, as my married friends put it, I should enjoy these guilty pleasures now because as soon as Martin gets here, reality tv is gone.

So a few weeks ago I decided to take my obsession to the next level…I took my dating skills learned from the Bachelorette and channeled my Toddlers and Tiaras stage mom and encourage my friend Jenny to audition for the upcoming season of the Bachelor. And just my luck, there was an open casting call in San Francisco in just two weeks.

I quickly blocked our office calendars for an “important meeting” the day of the auditions and we started brainstorming ways to make Jenny stand out and get on the show. The day quickly arrived, and we wrapped up work early to get there on time, with hopes of forever changing Jenny’s life.

The casting call was at a local hotel and we arrived expecting a line around the block, American Idol style. What we got was slightly less impressive…we had to follow the signs (not the screaming girls) to a large conference room on the lower level and found only a handful of girls waiting their turn for fame and love (although the crowds did grow substantially after 6pm when normal people get off work) and a few token guys, either there for moral support to their gal pals, for auditions themselves or for the girl to guy ratio.

As soon as Jenny signed in and got her application, the stage mom in me couldn’t resist: I helped Jenny fill out the application (providing thoughtful and unique adjectives to describe herself), I made friends with the other contestants (while subtlety scoping out the competition, and thankfully it wasn’t that steep…most of the girls seemed either not cute enough, too old or too over-done…and that is my toned down, less caddy opinion…trust me, I could say a lot worse), I hung in the back while Jenny had her photos taken making sure she smiled big and stood up straight and I offered words of encouragement just before she went into the room to be interviewed and videotaped. I even took her out to drinks afterwards to celebrate her soon to be success.

And like all good show moms (no thanks to the role models on Toddlers and Tiaras), I stopped myself from completing the process myself for fun– this was Jenny’s day after all and her time to shine….apparently reality TV can teach you a thing or two.

On a side note – Jenny finds out next week if she moves on to the next round…fingers crossed we are heading to LA!

No comments: