Friday, November 19, 2010

80 Year Old Woman From Ohio Goes to Cabo, Not Much Happens

Okay, so I might not be 80 and I might not be from Ohio, but the headline pretty much summarizes this past weekend, obviously spent in Cabo, for a friend’s destination wedding.

My unofficial date for the wedding was another invited guest, Kelly, whom you might remember from our misadventures in mob-ridden Palermo, Sicily and a petty theft incident in Napoli, Italy. Considering our natural talent for travelling, I knew this weekend would be another adventure.

The first challenge was getting there. We thought we were being travel savvy by getting our tickets early, locking in a cheap price for our tickets with minimal layovers. In hindsight, we opened ourselves up for last minute flight changes…in our case, a change from the 9am flight to a 6am flight followed by a 4 hour layover in Phoenix. Between the 4 am departure for the airport (and resulting impaired motor skills) layover, terminal changes and Kelly’s industrial-size zip lock bag of liquids, I am surprised we made it to Cabo at all, and more surprisingly with all liquids in tack.

After finally arriving at the hotel (no thanks to the group of 20 men offering us rides as soon as we got off the plane), we had just 1 hour of down time before getting on the bus for the rehearsal dinner downtown. And after travelling all day (beginning at 3am), and drinking through dinner, we opted to leave the impromptu mariachi dance party in the streets after the dinner, heading home and getting to bed by 11pm while the rest of the group did Cabo properly.

That Friday night set the tone for the rest of the weekend for Kelly and I, which was more reminiscent of an AARP sponsored all-inclusive vacation than San Francisco party. We woke up Saturday morning refreshed from a full nights sleep, enjoyed the hotel breakfast buffet overlooking the ocean and spent the rest of the day at the pool, on our lounge chairs, chasing the shade…In comparison, the rest of the party members woke up at 8:30 after a full night of partying (and in some cases a full week of partying), got to the pool at 9 in order to save lounge chairs and were at the swim up bar by 9:15am.

After the pool, Kelly and I spent the afternoon getting ready for the wedding and upon entering the party, I was quickly reminded that I am not as stylish as I once thought I was. In comparison to Kelly (with her 4 party dresses, 4 shoe options and travelling jewelry box) the Los Angeles based bridesmaids (with designer dresses and trendy accessories) and Marina Mafia fashionistas (with fashionable bohemian, vintage looks), I felt more like a homely country bumpkin from the Mid-West (Ohio to be exact) than a girl from California. And for the rest of the weekend, I embraced my Ohio, simple girl roots: giving traditional antidotes learned on the family farm, explaining to others the way we do things in Ohio and making mental notes for items to buy once I made it back to the big city (Columbus, to be exact).
Thankfully, even though I might have felt slightly underdressed for the occasion, no one else seemed to notice or care. And even better, no one seemed too bothered by my 11pm bedtime.

No comments: