Saturday, November 20, 2010

Wedding Season!(?)

Last time I checked, wedding season runs from Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day weekend…not surprisingly it corresponds with when it is appropriate to wear white. But just as Vogue Magazine threw that rule out the window a few years back, so have some of my closest friends. In the past 6 weeks, I have gone to 3 different weddings…3 more than I attended during the entire wedding season this year. And like the selected dates, these weddings were anything but ordinary.

On October 2nd, my cousin Josh got married to an awesome girl Erin. The wedding was beautiful, with very personal vows; and the last minute change of venue from the lake’s beach to the mountain lodge due to the heavy rain, thunder and lightning only added to the overall experience…the bride took it extremely well and the party continued without further delay. And with my normal partners in crime, Dana and Cody, unable to attend, I spent the night with my dad and 3 generations of Smith Women – my mom, aunt and grandma. I got to catch up on the family gossip, hear some fun stories about me growing up, and teach my aunt and mom how to do the lawnmower and shopping cart.

On October 10th (yes, 10-10-10) one of my best girl friends got married in Washington to her new found love Markus. After meeting in February and a whirlwind engagement, the two tied the knot at Shangri-La campsites at the base of Crystal Mountain. With no hotels nearby, the bridesmaids (myself included) rented an RV for the weekend and embraced our camping alter-egos. The wedding itself was beautiful, and unlike Josh and Erin’s wedding, the rain stopped in time for the outdoor ceremony. Outside of the wedding vows, the weekend was spent catching up with friends… that is, catching up in between the set-up and take down of the party “decorations” (including 15 water logged picnic tables, 250 chairs and the dancefloor).

And finally, on November 13th, one of my good friends from San Francisco Lauren married her long time boyfriend Ben on a veranda in Cabo San Lucas overlooking the Pacific Ocean. Unlike the previous two weddings, there was no rain in sight, and only a slight breeze to make for a pleasant tropical evening. But like the other two weddings, you could truly sense how happy the couple was and the joy in their families and friends being able to celebrate in their big day.

Congratulations to you all!

No comments: