Thursday, January 26, 2012

Auntie Failure

On January 19th at 8:20pm, my sister gave birth to a beautiful baby boy – Blake Robert Geimer. At 7 lbs, 15 oz, both baby and mom are doing great. I, on the other hand, am suffering from both complete admiration of my sister (once again, no drugs, screaming, yelling or hitting) and Post Auntie Failure Syndrome.

After missing the birth of my first niece almost two years earlier, I was ecstatic to make it to the hospital in time to see Dana and be there for her. And after plenty of baby showers, baby talk and baby time, I thought I was ready to be part of the miracle of birth. I was ready and excited to put my personal issues of child birth (brought on by watching my brother being born at age 3 and numerous Joy of Birth films) behind me.

Ray, Kim (Ray’s sister), and I hung out with Dana in the room while the rest of the support group (Mom, Dad, Bob and Sharon Geimer, Dori, Audrey, Cassidy and Martin), all waited patiently for the big reveal downstairs in the cafeteria. Everything was going great! I was giving Dana water, talking her through the contractions and trying to comfort her the best I could. It wasn’t until they started prepping Dana to push that I freaked out…I am not sure if it was the anticipated pain for Dana, expected blood or just my own personal issues that caused the break down…Regardless, consistent with all other trips to the hospital for medical emergencies, I could feel my knees starting to get weak, my stomach drop and ears ring. And I realized I had better leave at that moment before it was too late and I passed out on the floor.

As I made my apologies, kissed Dana good luck and backed away towards the door I heard Ray laugh at my weakness and Dana promising “No big deal. I want my kids to have cousins one day, so it is probably for the best!”

I re-joined the group in the cafeteria just as they finished up their delivered pizza and opened up the first of 2 bottles of red wine. And as I sent my mom upstairs as the Gimbel replacement I hung back and anxiously waited for the news…Glasses were raised shortly after, as we received the anticipated text “BOY”!

30 minutes later I met my nephew and fell in love. A full head of hair and a smirk on his pouty lips, I even broke my rule about holding babies too early. And while I wasn’t there at the first breath, 45 minutes later still isn’t too bad.

Congratulations to Dana, Ray and sister Cassidy!

Photos to come shortly...

No comments: