Monday, October 15, 2012

I Think I Will Do a Half Marathon This Week


The past weekend was the Nike Women Marathon and I decided to participate.  But wait, you didn’t know I had been training for this?!  I resent that…I trained all week!  I went to the gym for the first time in a month on Tuesday for yoga, I found out a co-worker couldn’t use her bib on Wednesday thereby kicking up the training program intensity, I walked home from work on Thursday for a proper 1.5 mile workout and then I carbo-loaded with wine and beer on both Friday and Saturday night…After having done the race for the past two years I was mentally, if not physically, prepared.

But that was beside the point, because this year was less about my finishing time and more to prove a hypothesis I came up with a while back…That I can walk faster than I can run.  It might seem crazy, but between over-exerting myself during running and the constant pace I can keep when walking, I wanted to test out my theory and what better way than on the same course I have run the past two years.

So on Sunday morning while I watched the women around me struggling with the hills, grunting and panting each and every step, I was able to push through, keep my stride on the inclines, do my fancy speed walking gait, enjoy the view and even smile for the cameras. It was a completely different experience and one I thoroughly enjoyed. The only thing the same was the inability to walk the next day…Training or not 13.1 miles is too far for my body to go without some long-term pain. 

And as for that hypothesis, I will let you decide:   my walking time was only 13 minutes slower than last year’s time and 25 minutes slower than my first year’s time when I actually trained.  To really prove my point I suppose I will have to walk it again next year, with training.


Anna and I the morning of the run!  Unlike me, Anna actually prepared, trained and finished with a great time!!!

No comments: