Tuesday, September 10, 2013

A Day to Celebrate Me!

With my birthday falling on Friday this year, I decided to take the day off for a little “me” time.    The day started off with CORE training in the morning where I had my ass kicked by a tall, beautiful British woman, telling me to keep going despite the fact I was sweating buckets and panting like a dog. (On a side note, I woke up the following morning more sore than after running the half marathon for my 30th birthday…I seriously couldn’t walk).     

After breakfast at home (to replenish the calories exerted in the class) Martin and I then had our muscles beat into submission during an hour Thai Massage, where a little Thai man walked on my back and brought me to near tears…I hadn’t planned on an international ass-kicking, but that is apparently what I signed up for.

We followed the massages with a lovely late lunch in the back patio of Arlequin, a French bistro in Hayes Valley and began happy hour with McKane shortly thereafter at Tacolicious in North Beach.  Happy Hour turned into dinner of queso, churros and margaritas and progressed into an early evening of Karaoke at the Bow Bow Cocktail Lounge in China Town, where Mama Candy the bartender kept the drinks flowing and took shots with everyone who entered the bar.   Martin even sang a few songs that night (including Sinead O’Conner’s Nothing Compares)…thinking about it now, I guess I shouldn’t have been entirely surprised at his hang over the following day. 

Looking back at the past few birthdays (celebrations in Zurich, France, New York, tearing out walls in our new home and getting engaged) I wasn’t expecting much from a quiet day off in San Francisco.  Little did I know that this birthday would go down as a favorite and would be just as exotic as the rest.

No comments: