Thursday, September 19, 2013

I Stand Corrected

Not more than 10 days after I wrote about growing up on the beaches of Northern California, I was forced to eat my words. 

With Martin in Norway and abalone season open, my brother and I drove up to Sea Ranch to spend the weekend with the family.  The road there, Highway 1, was exactly how I remembered it…steep, windy and only for stomachs made of stone…thirty three years old and I apparently still get car sick.  Thankfully due to some unexpected roadwork, we were stopped long enough for me to pull it together before we had to pull it over for me to lose my lunch and dinner. 

The weather Saturday was expected - windy and cold - so I hunkered down on the couch to read a book.  And dinner of abalone was, as always, fantastic.

Everything seemed as it should be…but then Sunday arrived.  The day was sunny and warm…and seeing a rare opportunity, we headed down to the beach with Cassidy and Blake.   In less than ten minutes, I realized where I had gone wrong in my previous post.  My memories of the beaches weren’t necessarily of my childhood, but of my awkward teen years when all I wanted to do was lie on the beach, get some sun and ideally meet a hot young surfer (who would ultimately ignore me- the pale-white awkward teenage girl with bad skin and a uni-brow). 

Seeing Cassidy and Blake that day made me love the local beaches that much more.  Those two were captivated by the tide pools, the hermit crabs, the star fishes, sea anemones, and the seals sunning on the rocks and loved collecting shells, popping dried seaweed like bubble wrap and dipping their toes in the water.  They could not have had more fun!



No comments: