Saturday, October 26, 2013

Granny Smith’s Famous Applesauce



My Granny Fran makes the best applesauce I have ever tasted and I think most people agree.  Each fall, everyone that knows her will drop off their bruised, battered, sometimes sour, sometimes over-rip apples from their garden trees for Granny to work her magic on.  And every holiday, Granny will come with her bag of goodies, her homemade dessert and a jar of her frozen applesauce.  It is treasured in my household and a tradition I never want to lose.

So this past weekend, I made a date with Granny so she could to teach me her famous recipe.    I came well equipped with apples, my apron and my food mill and recipe she had given me during my bridal shower.

I met up with Granny and Grandpa at Nations Burgers for lunch, where Grandpa refused to let me pay, I enjoyed the timeless burger and fries and Granny and Grandpa argued over who had actually requested the slice of pie to be bought (both while enjoying each bite).  Having spent my childhood enjoying the very same meal and experience with my grandparents, it was pure joy. 

We arrived at their house and while Granny changed into her cooking clothes, I was taken next door to meet their neighbor and see her newly renovated kitchen (very lovely).  And then it was back to their familiar home and straight to work with Granny being the perfect teacher, providing guidance when needed but allowing me to do all of the actual work.   From washing, chopping and cooking the apples to testing their softness and adding the sugar and spices, she was right there providing her years of insights and tricks. 

Between cooking and milling and spicing the applesauce, I spent the afternoon just hanging out with my grandparents.  We looked through their old Christmas letter to determine when they had gone to Scotland, Wales and London after it was mentioned during lunch (it was 1985) and I quickly learned about various other trips and life experiences…such as Grandpa going to Israel, their trips to Death Valley, Yosemite, Colorado, about their foster child, and about my parents, aunts and uncles’ new jobs, moves and growing families.
 
Granny and I sat on their loveseat/lazy boys with our feet up while we FaceTimed with Dana and Cassidy.  We watched a YouTube video of a second cousin presenting the Women’s Hall of Fame awards for the year.   And when everything else was done, I helped them work on one of their 500 piece puzzles that I so fondly remember from growing up.     (I just received a phone call from Granny saying that they finished last night!)

It was a perfect afternoon and I now have two jars of Granny Fran’s homemade applesauce in my freezer, made by yours truly. 


2 comments:

Unknown said...

You have no idea of what this post means to me, Aunt Francis was always an enigma to me, however I do have memories of her being terrified of crossing the Royal George bridge when I was very young. And of course you should ask Ann and Frank about when we saw her a few years ago at their house, it was quite the evening due to my, ahem, language. She was a bit older than my mom, Helen, and really couldn't fill in some questions I had about her. In the end I have nothing but fond memories about Fancis and Vic. Great post.
Your first cousin once removed
Tom Becker

Unknown said...

Lisa, you have no idea was a great post this is. Aunt Francie has always be a bit of an enigma to me, but you did a great job of capturing her for me. I always had fond memories of seeing the Smiths when they visited Colorado way back in the day. One thing in particular was your grandmother being terrified of crossing the Royal George bridge. I last saw her and Vic at Ann & Franks a couple of years ago, it was quite the evening, considering my, ahem, language. Ask Ann about it.
Take care
Your first cousin, once removed
Tom Becker
P.S. when I get back to the States I will send you a photo of your grandmother and my mom( Helen) at Knots Berry Farm in 1952