Saturday, December 21, 2013

My Job Is Ridiculous

This isn’t meant to be a brag, a boast or anything of the sort.  I am just so amazed by the ridiculousness of my job that I need to write it down so that when I am old, with grown kids and nothing to do, I can look back and remember how good I had it, all while getting paid.

On top of the great salary, challenging work and incredible teammates which alone are enough to make me smile and be thankful on any day, my job comes with some pretty amazing perks.  I have seen Green Day, Blondie, Huey Lewis and the News, Red Hot Chili Peppers and Bare Naked Ladies play live in small venues, I have attended private parties with MC Hammer, and have traveled to Singapore, New York, Las Vegas and the pleasantly surprising Indianapolis.  And I have eaten at some of the most amazing restaurants that would make any foodie drool. 

To sum up the fabulousness of my job, here was my last week of work before the holidays: I had two days of training at the Ritz Carlton in San Francisco followed by a day of proposals where vendors tried to wow us with their products.  Wednesday night was spent wining and dining with my fellow co-workers and their spouses at Harris’s Steakhouse for our annual team dinner where we ordered everything on the menu, twice over.  And if the food wasn’t enough that night, we had another team lunch that following Thursday at Michael Mina where we somehow managed to spend an exorbitant amount of money on white truffles and champagne.  To properly digest the food, we returned to work for an afternoon of gingerbread house building (a true team building competition) followed by more wine, cheese, crackers, and a raffle where I won an iPad charging case. 

Friday was generally uneventful (the standard half day before the holidays) and on Saturday, Martin and I left for Europe where parking our car was discounted thanks to the company and our time waiting for the flight was spent in the United Club lounge compliments of a co-worker who had free passes.  And to top it off, our first night in Europe was spent at the Best Western in London using points I received compliments of an earlier prize I won at work.

Free perks, upgrades, first class service and private parties aside, I have hit solid gold…I actually enjoy what I do and can’t wait to get back to see what challenges await me and hear how my co-workers vacations were.

No comments: