Thursday, May 26, 2016

Maternity Leave



Starting around January, the reality of this pregnancy finally began to sink in, and with it, was the realization of four months "off" of work through Maternity Leave. So, after what seemed like a long, slow end to work, including wrapping up final projects and getting the year-end audit completed, my Maternity Leave officially began Saturday May 21!   And similar to my one week of being a lady of leisure, I had plans.  

I was going to spend Saturday with my mom at the de Young Museum and the Oscar de la Renta exhibit, viewing all of the pretty dresses that I would never be able to afford, let alone fit into. Buckles and I were going to have lunch and an afternoon of strolling the promenade in Sausalito (including the obligatory double scoop of ice cream from Lambert's) to kick off the Summer of Buckles and Gimbel.   On Wednesday I had to run errands including a doctor's appointment in the morning, a last minute trip to Ikea, a meeting with the newborn photographer in the afternoon, and then dinner at my parent’s house for my grandpa’s birthday.  Thursday was slated for a final prenatal massage and Friday I had a long overdue dentist appointment scheduled.  And the rest of the week and following free days were to be spent relaxing, getting a pedicure, a haircut, possibly some other "nesting" related activities and finally watching all three Godfather movies uninterrupted. 

Things were going great and just as planned.  That is until Thursday morning when I woke up to cramps and for lack of a more delicate term, slow leakage.  To be fair the leakage began earlier in the week, but I thought nothing of it.  After a quick Google search which prompted a call to the doctor, Martin and I were set with an appointment for later that day to confirm what I was expecting, I peed myself.  So in the meantime, we went out to a nice lunch in the neighborhood and began making plans for the afternoon and dinner that night.  Unfortunately like all great plans, this one had a different outcome, at 1pm, our doctor confirmed that my water had broken (and most likely had earlier in the week) and I needed to go to the hospital right away.    Baby B was coming... and my plans for the rest of the week (and I am guessing any and all future plans) were tossed to the wind thanks to the new boss in town.

It is go time!

No comments: