Monday, January 9, 2017

Change in Plans - Part 1

In June 2014, after a really bad week at work I was heading to Chicago for a much needed girls weekend and, while at the airport trolling through LinkedIn job postings, I came across this one:



It immediately caught my eye (obviously since I took a screenshot of it with my phone) and I started the magical "what if” journey of potentially applying.  I was so convinced it was the right move that I told the girls about it that very night over too many bottles of wine on Lyndsey's humidity wrapped roof deck.

However back in the sober cold reality of San Francisco I realized that I had none of the experience (10% at best of the required skills) and actually really loved my job at salesforce.  In the end I decided not to apply.  Therefore it only seemed like fate when 6 weeks later I was contacted by a recruiter I trusted and loved about the very same position and was talked into throwing my name in the hat.  And even crazier, I kept on making it to the next round of interviews all the while being completely honest about my lack of experience.  I told Martin that if they offered me the job I had to take it.  It was the next logical move from a career perspective and I wanted to take a company public.  This role seemed to fit both perfectly. 

And so in September 2014 I left the job and team I loved to become the Corporate Controller of DocuSign.  In the past two plus years I have learned the ins and outs of accounting from processing accounts payable to collecting money from customers.  I rolled out a new payroll system, closed the accounting books 24+ times, went through two year-end audits with full responsibility of the numbers. I learned the various accounting processes and systems and how difficult life can be when those processes and systems are not automated or effective. I learned international tax laws, filed state sales and use tax filings, expanded internationally, acquired two companies and managed a team of 18 remotely in Seattle and 5 in San Francisco.  I spent my time mentoring my staff, building a new team and transitioning those out that weren’t performing.  I built relationships and a huge support network both inside and outside of the company.  It was amazing. 

But I also routinely worked 60+ hours a week, missed too many dinners (with Martin calling me at 8 pm at 8 months pregnant telling me I had to come home and get some rest). I travelled every month to Seattle and felt the brunt of the thankless job that accounting can be.  I was, at various points in time, the AP manager, Payroll manager, Revenue manager, GL manager, AR manager, Tax manager in addition to the corporate controller.  And as such, I was approving all POs, invoices, journal entries, payrolls, and tax filings... And I was burnt out.

And so with a new baby at home and the need for work life flexibility (because let's be honest work life balance is a myth) I decided to change my career plans and head back to salesforce... because while taking a company public would be awesome, it is no longer something I need to do to prove I am a smart, talented or accomplished person.  And while I loved seeing my team grow and develop, I was ready to step back and have a more limited scope of responsibilities.   

It was an amazing opportunity, one where I learned countless new skills (both accounting based as well as soft skills and survival skills).  I built an incredible team and loved everyone I worked with.  But it was time. 


Thank you DocuSign for the adventure, I am truly excited to see what you accomplish as a company in the next few years! And to salesforce, I am coming home! 

No comments: