Sunday, October 22, 2017

Smoke Free in Vegas

I never thought that I would look forward to a trip to Las Vegas for its clean, smoke free air.  But that is exactly what I was thinking Friday morning before my flight to Vegas to see Ms. Britney Spears with Joanna and her sister Anita. 

To back things up, it has been a rough few weeks on the national and local front: Vegas just suffered the country’s largest massacre in its history with 55 dead and over hundreds injured, we have an internet troll/bully for a president who handles these situations with no grace, and more importantly and personally, my sister lost her home, and everything they owned, to the Redwood Valley Complex fire, one of the 14 fires blazing through our state currently.  So our pre-planned trip to see Britney before her show ends at Planet Hollywood was both something to look forward to (as a break from reality and the smoke) but also a guilty indulgence that seemed insensitive on many levels. But we were going and we were going to make the most of it.

Similar to my Elton John concert, the three of us landed on Friday afternoon and left the following morning.  The 24 hours were just enough time to remind ourselves we are no longer in our 20s (I blame the $5 happy hour margaritas at Cabo Wabo), Britney is back and better than ever (no spray tan abs needed for her) and like Cinderella’s carriage, I turn back into a pumpkin at the stroke of midnight.

The best decision of the day was getting our make-up done after happy hour and before the show.  In person, I ended up with purple rimmed eyes (somewhat reminiscent of a severe case of the flu and no sleep) and Jo looked like a drag queen (her words, not mine).  But in the photos, all you can see are our ridiculously long, fake eyelashes.


And with that Vegas, I am good for at least another 6 months.  See you again soon.  
We might not be in our 20s, but I think we still got it

No comments: