Sunday, August 16, 2020

Aging Gracefully?

“From birth to age 18, a girl needs good parents, from 18 to 35 she needs good looks, from 35 to 55 she needs a good personality, and from 55 on she needs cash” - Sofia Tucker

I have no idea who Sofia Tucker is, but this quote (which I found in a joke book about turning 50 at Dunsmuir) struck home. She almost has it right...however I think a woman needs cash starting around 40. Cash has definitely helped me in my unpreventable slide into 40.

To back it up, I am incredibly thankful that my parents raised me to have confidence in myself and to not place too much stock in my external appearance. I was raised to believe that beauty and happiness comes from confidence and a sense of self, so that, instead of fancy clothes, shiny hair or flawless makeup, is all that ultimately matters. And I truly believe it. I have never felt the need to alter who I am to make me seem more attractive or desirable... okay I might have had a few moments during my teens and twenties and I am sure Martin would appreciate a little effort here and there, but overall I stand by that statement.

And yet... with 40 quickly approaching I have found the willingness, time and money to make a few investments in myself this past year. Call it denial, call it vanity, or call it self-care... hell you can even blame the pandemic...I deep down might not be aging as gracefully as I had expected given how I was raised. And with this process, it has taken some cash.

Hair removal, hair replacement, fancy hair dryers, personal trainers, life coaches, medical repairs, newest gadgets, clothing rentals. I am and have been down for it all this past year. I have spared no expense and am willing to consider any option to help with the inevitable onset of age and to undo the past five years of pregnancies, breastfeeding and general child rearing. No joke, I even bought a fancy new lipstick in the midst of a mask wearing pandemic.

And is any of it really helping? No, not really. I still look like the same old me, just now maybe with tinted lips. But overall there is more than a little joy in splurging a little bit on just me. Everything else in my life seems to be shared with the family so it is nice once in a while for a little indulgence and self-care.

No comments: