Monday, March 8, 2021

Bridesmaid: Retired

This weekend, I officially retired as a bridesmaid.   After a long life of weddings, bachelorette party planning, fluffing of the bridal gown, holding of the flowers and making sure the bride’s needs were taken care of, I am hanging up my small bouquet, uncomfortable shoes and dresses I will never wear again. And I must say, I went out in style.

My first wedding appearance was for my Aunt Gini’s wedding where my sister and I were flower girls.  Even from that early age, I took my responsibilities seriously, and may or may not have puked just before the ceremony due to the stress of the job.

After a short break (during the awkward years of being too old to be a flower girl and yet too young to be a bridesmaid), my career as a bridesmaid really took off in 2007 and never really slowed down…To be fair, my first bridesmaid appearance was actually in 2005 for Erin’s first wedding, but that one doesn’t count. Therefore my first wedding was Ange’s where I flew back from Zurich for the weekend.  It began with me throwing shoes at a fellow bridesmaid after the rehearsal dinner and ended up with me in the pool during the after party. I would like to think things got a little classier after that first wedding.  And to be fair, my fellow bridesmaid admits that the shoe throwing was justified.  

My bridesmaid career ended with a five star affair on the beach in Cabo for Hurricane McKane’s wedding.  It was beautiful.  Everything was perfectly organized, elegant but casual, picture perfect but also truly personal to the couple.  And I was honored to be a part of it.

Here are a few photos from memory lane…


Where it all began... Aunt Gini and Uncle Juvie's Wedding in San Luis Obispo


Ange's Wedding in Healdsburg - Post Plunge
Ange and Scott's Wedding in Healdsburg, post plunge


Dana and Ray's Wedding in Tahoe


Buckles and Mike's Wedding in Sonoma


Jo and Markus's Wedding in Washington



Neff and Chad's Wedding in San Clemente 



Anj and Ryan's Wedding in Carmel
(technically not a bridesmaid, but a VIP who got to give the speech) 


Jessica and Brooks's Wedding in Cabo

No comments: