Wednesday, April 13, 2022

Frozen in Yosemite

The week leading up to our trip, Yosemite experienced more than a few days of 70+ degree weather with sunny days and colder nights.  And that seemed perfect to me.  It had been a while since I was in Yosemite and I was looking forward to introducing Oskar and Alva to the “camping” experience.  True, we were staying in a tent cabin in Curry Village not a true tent, but it seemed like a good start.  I had big plans to go for a hike to Lower Yosemite Falls, ride bikes to Mirror Pond (including me, and I will let one sink in) and share a little bit of my childhood with them.

And like all great plans during the pandemic, we were in store for something else. Those warm sunny days the week before were replaced by forecasts of rain, snow and below freezing nights.  Refusing to forgo the entire camping experience and book a hotel room, I upgraded our tent cabin to at least have a heater.  And thank god I did.  Because it was cold.  It was rainy.  It hailed. And the kids had a blast.

Did we ride bikes? Nope. Did I pack rain gear for me and Oskar? No, because I had packed so much other shit. Did the kids have more fun throwing sticks in the icy river than walking to Yosemite Falls?  Yes. Did we eat every meal outside because of COVID, including in the rain, hail and snow? Yes.  Does this make me the best wife ever?  Absolutely.   Did the kids complain at all? Not really. 

The fun to work factor is definitely starting to point more towards fun than work with these two kiddos and travelling.

Sunday afternoon Martin showed the kids his rock climbing skills

Oskar was a quick understudy


My 13 year-old self would be dying of embarrassment right now.  As was Oskar, he was not amused


So he got an umbrella instead... which meant Alva got an umbrella

Snack time outside

Not a care in the world


Finally a sunny day.  The kids had more fun riding the bus than anything else

We stopped 5 minutes from the bus stop to watch the river and chunks of ice floating by

Finally on our way to the Lower Falls

A stop at the river one more time to throw sticks

Oskar embracing the camping life


No comments: