Thursday, January 4, 2024

New Year’s Resolutions

I can, hand on heart, state that for my first 43 years of life I have never made it through a month let alone a year of a New Year’s resolution. Hell, I couldn't even go 40 days without eating a banana (which I gave up for Lent in college because I didn’t like bananas). The only time I have actually exercised restraint and denied myself something for some arbitrary purpose was that time in high school that I briefly gave up eating four legged animals. I think I made it at least a year (my mom will have to fact check me) and it did help day Dana had given up all animals with legs. 

But on January 1 2024 I officially made it a whole year without buying new clothes thereby actually seeing my 2023 new year’s resolution to completion. Granted there were quite a few caveats. I could buy clothes just not new from a factory (e.g. vintage and used was okay), I could buy new undergarments because otherwise, gross, and after 4 failed attempts to buy used jeans I gave up and bought 2 new pairs. Oh and this only applied to clothes.  I in fact bought a lot of other things over the course of the year. But otherwise I made it! And it felt good! 


I had to get creative with my options, I loved finding unique vintage pieces to mix in and it prevented me from buying fast fashion that I really didn’t need. 


Now with all of that said, I did go on a little bender immediately after January 1 but it really was just for the basics (t-shirts, a jacket, and a new pair of work pants).


No comments: