Sunday, September 4, 2011

Construction has Begun!

After 4 weeks of waiting, including numerous trips to the planning department by Martin, we finally got the permits to begin construction (or more realistically, deconstruction) on the house! And Friday was marked as the day to take down the wall – the one between the kitchen and bedroom/soon to be living room. Unlike the first house we put an offer in on, where an argument over taking down a wall almost ended our relationship, I couldn’t wait for this sucker to come down. And better yet, I got to help.

Geared up in my proper construction girl outfit, including work gloves, jeans with plenty of deep pockets and newly purchased hammer, I was excited for Martin to give me my first task….unfortunately, like all new interns/employees, I was stuck with the grunt work. Task one – Make coffee. Not exactly what I had in mind, but I took on the task anyways (it was the least I could do considering). Thankfully for me, things picked up from there. Martin showed me the best technique for tearing out drywall as well as the older slat boards. And while I went to work tearing out the wall, Martin used the power tools to get rid of the awkward angles of the hallway in between the two doors.

After 6 hours of serious demolition, including a 30 minute lunch break on the roof (as regulated by Martin), we were down to the studs! Below are some of the photos of our hard work.








The studs were removed the following Monday which included adding in supports on either side, tearing down the load bearing supports and raising a 8 foot 4x10 beam into place. Given the success of the previous Friday, we felt unstoppable. That is, until we were stopped. The 8 foot beam was 120 lbs and with just the two of us, it was impossible to lift and hold into place 10 feet above us. After 30 minutes of attempts and creative engineering, we were ready to admit defeat.

But, thankfully, I knew a guy around the corner (an old co-worker) who might be home and might be able to help. A quick 5 minute walk, I grabbed Mike, along with his neighbor´s ladder and we were back in business! Mike and Martin held the beam, while I kicked supports into place, allowing Martin to screw the brackets into the ceiling. After that, things went surprisingly well and we were wrapped up and cleaned up for a late night, Labor Day dinner.





Here´s to hoping the rest of our problems are so easily solved.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, this is seriously some impressive work done! It looks so easy from the pics! Very proud of you Lis, the girl we knew only with high heels has concurred the big wall! Can't wait to see you two tonight and catch up some more!!! xox Petra

H. Pierre Schlomo Presley said...

Lisa and Martin, I am so impressed! Coy and I are in the midst of major reconstruction ourselves. I hope that working together has been great for your relationship- we've found all the decision making to be a bit taxing. I look forward to seeing the 'after' shots!