Friday, September 23, 2011

Speaking Hillbilly in London

It was recently pointed out to Martin that he speaks proper English, not the Hillbilly English you hear in America. And for better or worse, I have come to refer to Californian slang as Hillbilly. What can I say, it makes for a good story.

So after 10 days of travelling around Euopre, speaking proper English to alleviate the language barrier- having to focus on my annunciation, grammar and word choices - I was more than thrilled to get to London to see my old co-worker and protégé Jenny and speak some Hillbilly English.

Jenny just moved to London for a 2 year rotation with KPMG, similar to my rotation in Zurich and we already had plenty to catch up on…life, work, family, living abroad, etc. So like all proper catch ups, we spent the day gossiping over brunch, shopping and cocktails, all the while feeling completely like we were back in San Francisco and not in London. Ah, the simple pleasures in life.

No comments: