Friday, September 2, 2011

The Lumber Yard

This past Thursday, I found myself in a lumber yard, buying wood, and lots of it. Unlike most accountants, who typically work during the week, I had a break between jobs and took the opportunity to watch Martin in his element. And this included a trip to the lumber yard to buy 2x4s and 4x10s to re-enforce the wall we were taking down the following day. Yes, after watching countless hours of HGTV about home makeovers and remodels, I knew the lingo and felt ready to become a member of the construction crew…I was pumped!

Within minutes we were able to get everything we needed, included bracket thingies, screws and even ordered the wood cut to size…all alongside the contractors and carpenters like pros (which I guess is true, given Martin’s profession). It actually wasn’t until we got out to the car when a well equipped contractor looked at us, our supplies, our car and exclaimed “what are you building” that I realized how not normal we looked. And I suppose his question was warranted – there was Martin in his button down shirt with popped collar, sweater and nice jeans, me with ballerina flats and designer purse distracted with my blackberry, putting down the seats in our Volvo and meticulously covering everything with old towels and sheets before putting in the wood…so okay, we might not have looked like professional, but we were getting there.

I guess HGTV can only take you so far.

No comments: