Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Hotel Las Torres to Mirador Torres

Today marked the final leg and completion of the W trail in Patagonia.  And I experienced the joy of a huge sense of accomplishment! We woke up early as usual to gusty winds and snow on the mountains and nearby hills…it was official, all four seasons had hit Patagonia during our stay – sun, wind, rain and snow!  The weather had met all of my expectations!

And while some might say it was my love for a crazy German that caused me to forgo a day in the spa to brave the elements, I hate to say it was more selfish than that.  Being so close to finishing, I was willing to do anything to say I had completed the hike, including enduring high winds and cold wet snow.

Off on to the last leg of the journey


First up the valley to Refugio Chileno
 
Then up a really steep hill to Torres Camp Site
Up and over the mountain...with snow starting to fall
You can’t tell in the photo, the wind was so strong it practically pulled us up (and unfortunately) down the hills.  I nearly toppled over a few times.

All finally, 800 meters straight up later, we reached Mirador Torres, the look out for Las Torres Del Paine

I was clearly having fun...we just had to walk back to where we came from
With the hardest part over, it was time to goof off

Conversation topics included the next few items on our bucket list, my desire to dope while hiking (aka take Alieve for my knees…the term was prompted by the 5 books Martin had read on the trip about pro-cycling) and how my laughter back down the mountain was echoing in the valley for all to hear…apparently laughing and hiking don’t normally go together but after completing the trail I couldn’t help myself; I was giddy.

Departure: 8am
Arrival 3:10pm
Distance – 22 km

No comments: