Sunday, January 4, 2015

Paine Grande to Valley Francis to Frances Domo

Our official destination for Day 2 was Domo Frances, but in order to make the hike a W rather than just a U, we had to take a slight detour.  After 7 km from Paine Grande, we took a left at Campo Italiano to head up valley.  The trail eventually takes you to Camp Britanico, but given the full distance and estimated time, we turned around about halfway up.  Here are the pictures. 
Setting off from Paine Grande
 
Our walk along Lago Skottberg to Campo Italiano
 
Heading up the valley to Campo Britanico
 
 
Man it is hot!
 



Mirado Frances
Topics discussed included – reasons why we travel, our experience so far (less about the scenery, more for the adventure), how we measure success and what came first, the bowling ball or the bowling alley (this last topic was thanks to an overheard conversation from one of my fellow brethren where they were arguing the same thing).

After heading up and over countless boulders and then back down, my knees and courage were about to give.  When I commented to Martin that his strong wife was turning into a pansy, his only response was that he was strong enough for two…and that was not meant as a compliment.  It was during this moment of weakness that I had a true insight into our relationship.  While I typically lead the charge in the city, bobbing and weaving through the crowds and standing on the edge of the sidewalk as Martin hangs back with his nonchalant stroll, I noticed the roles were completely reversed while hiking.  Martin took the lead, finding the path, navigating his way to the best footholds, and fully in charge, while I on the other hand, took my time with each step, taking in the sights enjoying the moment and avoiding the edge at all costs.



Departure – 7:45
Arrival – 3;15
Distance -16km

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love this post! I read your blog pretty regularly, and you are always coming up with some decent staff.
I shared this post on my Facebook, and my followers loved it!
Have a nice day. Cheers.