Saturday, August 27, 2016

Hypocrite or Better Informed



Two years ago, Martin and I celebrated our one year anniversary (of our second wedding) with a dinner at Foreign Cinema.   While eating dinner I commented about a nearby table and the fact that they had brought their toddler, who must have been no more than 2 years old, to dinner. The comment led to a heated conversation about children and when and where it is appropriate to take them.  I was adamant that a fancy dinner at Foreign Cinema was not necessarily the best place for a toddler (for the parents of the child, other guests that might be distracted by any crying and the wait staff that may have to worry about bumping into a child while carrying plates of hot food).  Martin disagreed and thought children should be welcome anywhere.

With time comes maturity and experience… Martin has now rescinded his stance and agrees that there may be more child friendly restaurants.  And this past weekend, I had to eat my words as we took Oskar to Foreign Cinema for our annual anniversary celebration.

Acknowledging dinner would not be the best option, we instead celebrated with an early brunch in their famous courtyard, where Martin and I said “I Do” for the second time.  Looking around, I noticed not only the rowdy group of girls enjoying their boozy Saturday brunch (aka my old crowd), but also two other tables with kids and strollers!   So while I may be a hypocrite, I feel better informed that brunches with babies at nice restaurants might not always be a terrible idea.    


No comments: