Saturday, February 17, 2018

Papa Monkey Says Huh?


Thanks to being a geriatric mom (aka pregnant and over 35) I qualified for additional testing to screen for potential gene anomalies such as downs syndrome.    And the upside of this additional screening, is that you are able to find out the sex of your baby much earlier than the 20 week ultrasound.  Martin and I discussed the test with our doctor at our 14 week check-up and decided to do it… it would take two weeks to get the results.   Knowing that they would call us with the results we had a few options:  I could find out right away and tell Martin later, Martin and I could try and call the doctor together, or we could wait the additional two weeks until our 18 week appointment and find out together in person.  I opted for #1. To be fair Martin didn’t seemed to mind. 

So on Valentine’s Day, after exactly two weeks, I gave the doctor a call to find out if they had received the results back.  Martin thought it would be a girl…I thought it would be a boy…and we knew one of us would be right.  So I sat in an empty conference room at work and anxiously waited as my doctor uttered the following words “it’s a GIRL”!    Holy crap!  

After the shock wore off, I immediately knew how I wanted to tell Martin.

I left work a little early that afternoon and stopped by our local shop Lola’s and bought a cute pink onesie with foxes on it and had them wrap it up.  After Oskar went to sleep that night, I handed Martin the bag saying that while we normally don’t do Valentine’s Day presents, I wanted to get him a little something to show him how much I care.  He opened up the present and the following dialogue ensued:

“Oh this is cute, we can make this work if it is a girl or a boy.”

“No you idiot… we are having a girl.”

“Huh?”

“I got the results back today from the doctor, we are having a girl… do you really think I would buy a pink onesie if I didn’t know yet if it was a boy or a girl?”

Man I love that man.   And so begins our journey of having both a boy and a girl. I am adamant that I won’t go crazy buying pink stuff for the nursery or girlie dresses and shoes.  We have plenty of cute and functional tractor shirts that she can wear either with a bow or a skirt.  But what did I recently say “never say never”… so who knows how long this will last.

No comments: