Sunday, July 29, 2018

A Little “Me” Time


When Oskar was born I had planned for two weeks off of work prior to his arrival but got approximately 5 days off (meaning all of my plans for the time were cancelled). This time around I was leaving nothing to chance... I was taking three weeks off prior to my due date to ensure a little “me” time before Baby Gerken’s arrival. And I took full advantage; my calendar was packed!

I had coffee dates scheduled with mom friends from Oskar’s school, old coworkers and my mom tribe.  I had lunch dates scheduled with Buckles (continuing our monthly tradition of Original Joe’s cheeseburgers), Katya, an old girlfriend from college who just moved back from New York and Martin at Tacolicious (hoping to bring back the good vibes from Oskar’s birth and speed this one along).  I indulged on pie for breakfast and pie for lunch followed by a matinee in the Mission with the moms. And then followed up the next day with a prenatal massage and another movie (this time by myself) downtown.

I went on at least two Target runs (where I got encouragement and positive remarks from each cashier and woman I passed) and I helped clean out my old bedroom at parent’s house. I also did a final cleaning of Gerken’s room to get it prepped for her arrival.  And I managed to find time to pick out tile for Timber Cove (although we ended up purchasing a different brand).

By the end of the first two weeks I had done everything on my list other than make bread (I had decided I was going to learn how to make a mean loaf of bread while on maternity leave). 

I was relaxed, rested and ready for anything… Don’t get me I am sure I could have kept myself occupied and entertained for the final and third week prior to my due date; but Gerken had other plans and that was okay by me.

No comments: